October 30,
2019
Week 4:
Month 1 Team Decision
We continue
to have discussions as a family about how all of us are doing. Mostly I hear
from the kids that they are thankful for the peace.
My husband
and I have buckled down on consequences. The kids seem to be responding better
than they have been. They are tired of my statement “work before play” which I
have said to them thousands of times in the past decade. Now I am adding “Time
Management!!” and “natural consequences!!” which I suspect they will dislike just
as much lol!
Thursday
night we had a phone call with Grace during which she got mad and started
yelling at me. The staff sit next to her during the calls and told her to stop
and she would have a consequence. Then she argued about my deserving her
yelling so got another consequence. Friday morning during our family therapy
time (via phone) I knew it was our last conversation with the therapist prior
to the team meeting the following week so I decided I was not going to walk on
eggshells and was going to ask some hard questions of Grace. Mostly it had to
do with what she was learning that she was going to apply when she gets back
home, explaining her choice to yell at me during the phone call that is
supervised by staff, and what she would have realistically done if that
interaction had been at home without staff watching. The upside is that she was
honest. She even listed off things and ended the sentence with “the usual.” The
therapist jumped in then about that phrasing and I validated Grace’s statement
that any and all conversations with her asking her to be accountable for her
choices or anytime she is told any version of “no” will result in much more
hurtful comments/behaviors than what she was doing in the first place. I was
very happy that the therapist is seeing it, I was discouraged that Grace, even
in a highly structured setting, quickly fell back into her typical pattern.
It was a
hard session and afterwards my husband said that if she did not have any
incidents after that it would show she really was choosing to use the
strategies that she is using.
She had two…
Today we had
the team meeting. We had planned to drive there but due to the weather turned
around and came back home. Therefore we participated via phone. The insurance
company approves her stay in 30 day increments. Sixty days are being requested
but it is thought they will only approve 30 days and then another 30 days will
be requested if Grace’s current pattern of behavior continues. They have taken
her off ½ of her meds and today will take her off of the rest. They like to take
away all meds and then start over to find a baseline, etc. We are very curious
how that will go.
My body has
been hurting a lot. I know I carry my stress in my body and it doesn’t
necessarily come out emotionally. In my job of listening to countless horror
stories on a regular basis I am used to shutting down emotions – but my body
carries that stress. I am really trying to be intentional about this situation so
that I can heal and be the best mom, wife, etc that I can be. I am working on
self-care – continuing to exercise 3-4 days a week. Relaxing in the hot tub.
Connecting with friends. Playing with the grandkids😊. But my body continues
to be in a lot of pain. I have been to the chiropractor and the massage
therapist 3 times EACH in the past month trying to get on top of the pain. They
both keep telling me that I am very stiff and tight. Friday was the first time
that during an adjustment he couldn’t get me to adjust. Usually that is my
husband, not me lol! Saturday I made myself quit doing housework and paperwork
at 2 and sat for most of the rest of the day with a heat pad. That seemed to
help that day. Sunday morning I woke early, again, and laid there with all of
the anxious thoughts about what the future will hold with Grace swirling in my
head. I realize that is always rolling in the back of my mind and that is
probably why I can’t relax.
JJ continues
to have nightmares. I think that he, like us, have just survived the
dysfunction and now that it is gone there is a different awareness of it, but
also a fear that it will return. For a kid with pretty severe separation
anxiety anyway it has been hard. I am not surprised that for him it comes out
in nightmares of us being killed and him being left all alone. Beside that, I
have not been available to him like I have been in the past because of all of
the extra hours I have been working and the changes in our routine to accommodate
visits and therapy with Grace. The time I usually have set aside for him is
spent trying to finish paperwork, etc then he is the one that is suffering. So…that
is something else I need to work on…
Specific
prayers at this time:
For Grace to
be approved for at least another 30 days of treatment (we will be told tomorrow
or Friday if she is approved).
For Grace to
use her coping strategies/emotional regulation skills and they will generalize
to home when she comes back.
For God to
have the “right” things happen in the right timing that will help Grace the
most – including the medication changes.
For our
family to continue to be intentional about healing, and not live in fear of
what might happen.
Praise:
Grace really
is in a great place and they are working very hard with her. The threshold is
very high for her type of placement and we are so incredibly thankful that she
is able to get help there.
God has provided
for us in so many ways through all of this. We are so grateful!
So many
people have called, texted, or sent encouragement.
The
psychiatrist agrees with our diagnostic assessment of her, so we feel like we
are working with the best conceptualization of what is happening and not off target
in our efforts.
No comments:
Post a Comment