Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving Traditions

Our family enjoy tradition, like most families do. Thanksgiving really marks the beginning of the Christmas season in our family. I am bummed that blogger is not uploading my pictures to show you some of the adorable pics that we got of the kids this year. We made lefse yesterday and Beautiful had lots of fun being the "Flour Queen." This, of course, means that there is a huge mess for me to clean up afterwards...but the kids have a blast:) Today we set up the Christmas Tree. I have been pondering lately how well I know my children. It is amazing how long you can live in close proximity with people and not really know them. I have been trying to "study" my children lately and really know their personalities. I watched them put up the tree and had fun learning more about them.

Beautiful - she really didn't care about putting up the tree at all. She just wanted to have Christmas music on to sing and dance around. Yep, 14 year old girl:)

Buddy - he really wanted the tree up. I was in the middle of trying to get paperwork caught up and he had that tree up before I got done. He was all about getting the lefse going too. He is all about "this is how it is supposed to be so get it checked off the list." I worry sometimes that he doesn't enjoy process, just completion. But, alas, he is just like his mother...sigh...

Superman - he loved watching the ornaments go on the tree. He is very sentimental about the things that have been given to him and they are dear to his heart. I'm sure that has something to do with having nothing from the first 3 years of his life - and being able to remember that he has nothing to remember those years by. All day he couldn't wait to put the ornament on the tree that made last year in preschool.

Grace - she was totally taken in by the excitement and the sparkling lights, tinsel, and ornaments. She was insistent about "helping." Of course, she was singing and dancing with her big sister!

Faith - she was more willing to watch the process and be a part of it. Singing and dancing is also a big part of how she experiences life and she belted out Christmas songs with the rest of us.

JJ - He just could not (and can not) get enough of the ornaments. He wants to be right there in the tree touching and exploring this new sight! He is very, very curious:)

I was thinking last night as I was playing the piano with my family gathered around singing Christmas Carols about the many things of which I am thankful. I am so glad that my Grandparents paid for me to take piano lessons, for my parents making me keep taking piano lessons, for my wonderful piano teacher, and for the gift of a piano as a wedding gift from a dear friend. I am so thankful that all of my family WANTS to stand around the piano and sing. I am blessed by a cohesive family unit that, despite time constraints, varied personalities, and plenty of us to go around, we actually want to spend time together:) I love our family:)

No comments: