Saturday, November 12, 2011

Grace's new journey: week 6/7

It has been over 2 weeks since my last update. It is hard to fit blogging in with everything else. Essentially we continue to have progress.

Grace: The good news: Her digestive issues have improved to the point that we have introduced dairy products again...with no symptoms! For the first time in her life having sour cream, ice cream, cream cheese, etc does not result in her running for the bathroom. It is exciting:) Her hyperactive behaviors are improving. She still requires much behavior management but she is essentially off of the Ritalin. We are noticing for the first time now, because of the lessening in her hyperactivity/impulsivity, how much her concentration/focus is affected. We always knew that she was unable to focus well, but now it is more apparent. It seems that now when we are attempting to discipline her behaviors she is less angry and more...possibly remorseful.

Faith: We are 2 weeks into the supplements with her. We have not noticed any improvement with her. We also stopped her allergy shots at the same time so that is compounding her issues right now. She is congested, coughing, and has a runny nose all of the time. We are waiting for the retest to see how she is doing. She has some other foundational issues to get cleared up so hopefully once those are better we will see some improvement in the congestion.

JJ: Along with Faith and Grace having head colds and coughs (Faith's is by far worse, it always is), JJ had a cough and congestion. Usually that is followed by a fever, refusing to eat, and weeks later we finally end up putting him on an antibiotic. However, this time within a few days his cough cleared up and while he is still congested in his head it is his "normal" rattle when breathing (he has never breathed totally quietly all the time). He only had one day that he decided to eat minimal foods. He is drinking and eating 2x as much as usual and has gained 1 lb in the past month! So, we are considering that he is significantly improving as well. And, as a bonus...he is sleeping better! He has slept 12 hours for the past 3 nights - 1 straight through and 2 only getting up once for a bottle then back to sleep. His appetite has probably tripled - and that is likely a factor in his sleeping better - since he is eating more at a meal:)

Myself: I have been waiting around "something" to feel different. I have wondered since my symptoms were less specific what/if I would notice anything. I was looking at a specific symptom set and didn't really think I noticed anything (like more energy, etc). I have had some improvement specific to my issues, but am probably the most surprised that I have less pain in my back. That, of course, is a very pleasant surprise as I have learned to just live with the chronic pain as it is MUCH better than it used to be but there is not a minute that goes by that I am not experiencing some level of discomfort.

Our menu has change dramatically. There is a lot of food we don't eat anymore and a LOT of foods we have added that we never considered before. Millet, grits, green drinks, almond milk, etc. I am learning to hid veggies in soups. Since the kids are on vegetarian diets we are more creative about meals - being a farmer's daughter and my husband is a hunter we have always been all about meat. But...we are learning. Yesterday I made fruit leather and today I made homemade yogurt. Yep...times are changing at our house lol! I am thankful for a friend's blog www.heavenlyhomemakers.com. When in doubt...I check it out!
.....

No comments: