Friday, December 9, 2011

biochemistry and other random updates:)

Beautiful started Basketball for a home school team. Her first game was snowed out last night:( She spends a lot of time on my itouch texting friends, listening to music on her ipod, and in general being a teenager:)

Buddy is LOVING the snow. He takes Superman out for snowball fights and we went sledding last weekend. We are also enjoying playing board games:) He discovered Larry the Cable Guy on netflix. I had heard something negative about him in the past so never allowed it to be watched. However, watching a grown man with a voice like "Mater" is irresistibly hilarious lol!!

Superman is enjoying the snow too. He and Buddy spend hours and hours together building huge lego "bases" and making totally creative things.

Grace just had her second retest. Her numbers continue to improve and she was able to be taken off of 6 of the supplements. We have added one more to see if we can get increased focus and decreased hyperactivity. We have added back all foods (except meat) and for the most part are having good success. The foods like peanut butter and cheese that she is not supposed to have we are allowing in small quantities without any known adverse effects. We have always reduced sugar with the kids like juices due to cost and the adverse affects of sugar. However, I am now discovering that this practice has been bad. All of the kids have had low sugars (including myself!) and we are seeing improvement with adding juices and more fruits into the diet.

Faith's congestion is still present but not to the degree that it was. Her biochemistry numbers were significantly improved on her retest as well and one supplement was stopped. We are hopeful for increased healing of her body and for the breathing problems to be gone. She originally had high blood sugars, but once we properly hydrated her they are low too.

JJ has had the most improved symptoms and the least improved biochemistry on the retest - go figure! He slept through the night 5 nights in 1 week, then went 2 weeks very grumpy and not sleeping through the night again. In talking with a friend we figured out it was probably due to weaning him. So, I stopped that and...his is back to his cheerful self AND sleeping through the night! However...he is sick again. With the congestion he is still eating and has not spiked a high fever. So, despite being sick he does appear to be on a better trajectory than he went on all summer when the congestion would start. He is just the sweetest little kid!!! He drags out all of my lids, bowls, containers, food out of the cupboards and stacks them, or carries them around the house, or puts them in a box and pushes them around the house. Since starting the supplements and his appetite increasing his weight has gone up almost 2 lbs and he has grown almost 2 inches! That means that he can drag things out of high drawers, things closer to the center of the table, and can get his leg up to climb on things that are higher than he could 2 months ago lol!

I, too, have had low blood sugar. I am realizing now all of the long lasting implications of this. First, it makes me have headaches. When I have headaches I am grumpy (sadly true) and I eat more. I now weigh more than I ever have except when pregnant:( I have enjoyed a week of being headache free now that I am understanding the correlation between when and what I need to eat (increased juices and fruits) to stave off the headaches. Apparently once those blood sugars level off I should be able to lose some weight too as my metabolism will increase. Bonus! I keep getting told that my "numbers" indicate that I need more rest. Go figure...

I am mostly done with Christmas shopping. Beautiful is a little harder to shop for but she has kindly given us a list of wants:) Now to finish end of year tax preparation, paying bills, menu planning with all of the foods we can and cannot eat, home school, cleaning, work, projects, cleaning, Christmas program, basketball stuff, and have I mentioned cleaning? At the end of the day I mostly feel like I cleaned up messes all day.

I am considering a "good to have done" but not "urgent" task to complete this weekend. We'll see if I can make some progress on it or not:)

No comments: