Exercised 5 days this week at the level 4 and today I finally was able to do almost all of the exercises exactly the way she says to do them. This level.is.hard.
Eating, eh, portion control but eating what the family eats as I am not putting the effort into separate meals. So, they are higher in carbs.
Bible reading and family prayer: going better.
***********
Last week was really hard on me. This week was better. I have had more energy and felt more hopeful. I even engaged in a couple of "extra" activities this week that I committed to and they went ok:)
Thursday I listened to more of the EMDR conference I went to. They recorded all of the sessions and I had until tomorrow to watch the ones that I wanted to see but didn't get to (it was hard to decide between various breakout sessions when they were all so good!). So I watched another 6 hours of conference after I worked only 1/2 a day. There was one by Dr. Gabor Mate that was excellent. I will be purchasing his books. He is a physician who supports the benefits of EMDR. The conference I watched on Thursday was "When the Body Says No." He speaks a lot about the connection between stress and disease (and addictions) - how stress on the body leads to disease in the body. It really hit home for me and has made me think about my own need to be better at creating boundaries so that I can continue to function well. Many of his talks are on youtube if you want to look him up. He was born in Hungary in 1944 - during Hitler's reign and his discussion of how that experience affected/s him/his family/etc is fascinating. He is a very personable speaker who does not follow a set rigid power point which drove me crazy during the first session, but then I came to really appreciate his wisdom and stopped worrying if he was following a set outline or not. I am such an "in the box" thinker. Sheesh. I greatly appreciate his "outside the box" ness.
Anyway, it was a good reminder of how I need to streamline, say "no" more, focus on what matters and let the rest go until there are fewer children in the house, etc. Somehow this is going to have to affect my work schedule. And will have me delegating even more to my husband. But it is all good:)
I was having a pretty tough issue lately that was negatively affecting an important relationship in my life. I knew it was my issue and even knew what some of the triggers were so I did EMDR. I am happy that the situation has arisen several times since then and I did not respond irrationally/overly emotionally. Have I mentioned the excellent healing benefits of EMDR? ;)
Yesterday I got some cleaning done and made a quadruple batch of banana bread.Today I made homemade salsa, a double batch of taco casserole, crescent rolls, 19 quarts of spaghetti sauce (and canned it), puppy chow, and home made bread. And did ALL of the dishes. All before 1/2 time of the football game (that we thankfully won!). My back was killing me from all of the standing so I let myself stop at 1/2 time. We had an activity that I really wanted to go to tonight but I knew that my body just wasn't going to let me so we didn't go. I am ok with that. I say "no" to a lot of social opportunities and while I know that doesn't let me connect with my friends, the reality is that right now my life is at home and work. Friendships are what have been put on the back burner for years now and I just have to be ok with that. Maybe when the kids are all gone we will find a few couples to travel the world with;) Or maybe my husband and I will just travel the world with each other. Or spend it attending grand kid activities. I suspect that we will have a grandchild or two to dote on in our empty nest years;)
No comments:
Post a Comment