I have decided that even though I just posted I had best post after each session or I will forget details that I want to remember!
Today Ms. Erin was again impressed with JJ's improvement with the /f/ and /v/ sounds. He is making them more consistently and it is increasing his ability to be understood.
Ms. Erin says that JJ is a very visual learner and doesn't forget things visually. However, he is having a very, very hard time with word retrieval. Think of it like talking with a person with Alzheimer's (or me most days). They know the word that they want to say but they can't get it "retrieved." So, they name some attributes...or give up frustrated. She suggested that in order to get JJ's brain to start making more neural connections for speech we are
1) to talk about the attributes of things that he cannot retrieve. For example, he can never remember the word "chex" even though he prefers that cereal. So we are to talk with him about attributes when he is thinking of it...square, crunchy, cereal, etc
2) going to try using an itouch to take pictures of frequently requested words that he has trouble retrieving. Then he can scroll through the pictures and point to what he wants. He is NOT having trouble chaining words together like most kids with Apraxia. His speech is coming along pretty well. But now that we can understand more of what he is saying, we are recognizing that he can't "find" the words, so the pictures will hopefully help. He is unable to retrieve colors, numbers, letters, etc. I know the next hurdle will be learning to read. He is NO WHERE near ready to start that. But, the visual reminders will hopefully be helpful for verbal communication. He clearly has the "picture" in his head when he trying to tell us something, but just can't get the right words out.
Beautiful's fiance is on break from college and came with us today. He sat in the back of the car with JJ and I was able to just listen to their conversation for 30 minutes. I learned a couple of things.
1) Beautiful's fiance had never ever been around little kids prior to joining our family (lol! - he was sure in for trial by immersion lol!) He is absolutely fabulous with the kids and they adore him:) He will be a great "big brother" to them:)
2) JJ is always a clown. He is forever making people laugh and doing lots of antics. But today when I was listening to Beautiful's fiance talk with him in a way that was more direct than the rest of us do (we don't ask JJ to name things, etc and have learned to anticipate his words so he doesn't have much pressure in that area), and realized that JJ will use humor and joking when he is unable to retrieve the right word - so he will just say some off the wall crazy thing with the intention of making us all laugh...and thus get off task of what we were originally asking. It was very deliberate and intentional, and I realize now just how frequently he does this.
However, when he is with strangers is unable to anticipate what will make them laugh or what words they will understand. He is too anxious about their presence and their expectations, not to mention being in an environment that is way too overwhelming sensory wise. So, he just clams up and is quiet. He needs us near to "interpret" and buffer people. It is all fine, I am just starting to understand it more:)
The SLP suggested that JJ enroll in some classes that their music therapist will be doing in June/July. It will totally mess up my work schedule and require me to drive 45 miles one direction for therapy in the morning just to come home and drive 25 miles the other direction to work in the other direction...then obviously have to move that morning clinic to another day:( But... JJ LOVES LOVES LOVES music and whenever any is on he is moving and dancing to it. The SLP says that kids with Apraxia can gain huge benefit from it. So...I think we are going to try to make it work...adding one more thing during baseball and wedding planning season;) At this point I can't figure out if I should put him in the 2.5 - 4 year old or 4 - 7 year old class. I will probably have the SLP tell me which of the classes would be most beneficial.
As an aside, it was so much fun to have Beautiful's fiance with us today. He is a joy to know. We had dropped Beautiful off to take a test, then he, JJ, and I went to Hobby Lobby to get some items for the wedding. We then went to JJ's therapy while Beautiful's fiance drove my car to go back to get Beautiful. His knees were up pretty high when he tried to get behind the wheel, and he said that he had never been so low to the ground while driving before (he drives a truck...and is 6'5"). It was pretty funny to see him try to drive my Toyota Corolla lol!
Another success though was the JJ WALKED the whole time that we were shopping! He didn't ask me even one time today to carry him! He seems to finally be gaining some momentum. He is eating a ton, growing, happier, and seems to have more physical stamina than he had before. He is also saying "please, thank you, you're welcome, and excuse me" appropriately and most of the time...spontaneously! I don't know how all of those things are related but it is very encouraging to see:)
No comments:
Post a Comment