Thursday, June 26, 2014

When the Kids are Away...the Parents will Play!

We dropped off the Middles at camp Wednesday.  YES!  Faith really wanted to go on her birthday so she got her wish:)  My husband and I decided that it may work this year for us to get away.  It has been so complicated with little ones and we tend to be a bit overprotective of our kids...and we actually want people to still like us after leaving our kids with them overnight!  So, right after we dropped off the kids we went away for the night for the 4th time since we became parents...17 years ago.  Actually, we never left Beautiful and Buddy until they were 7 and 4...so it was the 4th time in 10 years;) (I also want to clarify that we did go to Mexico several times and friends watched the little kids sometimes because we couldn't take them out of the country with us and sometimes...because.  But we still had the other kids with us;)

We don't have grandparents or any family in this state, so we have no convenient people to watch our kids.  I am so glad that Beautiful is now old enough to do that.  My husband and I are looking forward to being grandparents who get to keep our grandbabies a lot!!

Beautiful and Buddy did a great job watching JJ.  There were some bumps in the road when Beautiful wanted to go to sleep at 11:30 and night and JJ was still full of energy, but he did eventually go to sleep lol!  It was great to have peace of mind of the kids left at home and we knew that JJ would do well with Beautiful.  Actually, he didn't even ask about us until Thursday.  When he was told that we were on a date he supposedly said, "oh yuck!"  Silly boy...

We went out to eat and...are you ready for it...we actually ordered food that we have never eaten before!  My husband and I tend to be quite "inside the box" people in certain areas and eating out is one of them.  One does not want to spend money on food when one does not KNOW that it will taste good lol!  Fortunately my husband's was delicious and mine was good.  I will be ordering what he ordered next time we go there though;)

I mentioned in the last post that I  am reading What did You Expect? by Paul Trip.  In that book he has a Trust Questionnaire.  My husband and I spent hours talking through those 22 questions.  To have UNINTERRUPTED conversation was soooo delightful.  We usually use our 2 mile walks to talk uninterrupted, but that isn't near enough time to talk of things other than planning daily life (and now I use the treadmill more so our walks are not as frequent).  It was also wonderful to sleep without keeping an ear "open" for a child coming in the middle of the night to disrupt our sleep:)  Since JJ still doesn't sleep through the night more than a few nights at a time that was a major highlight!

Beautiful is 17 1/2 and we hadn't gotten her a car.  We have talked about various options and it has been a hard decision for us.  Do we buy a new car and sell her our old one like my parents did for me?  I really liked having a reliable car when I was a teen that I knew where it had been/what it had been through.  Or do we buy her a used car?  I hate buying used cars as I don't know who to trust to sell me a car while being honest.  Thus, we have almost always bought new.  Beautiful is not a very social kid, so it is not like she is needing the car for many social events so we have just muddled along with her using my car.  I only work 2 days a week (usually) so making it work was acceptable.  We decided to wait until this fall.  However, she is working 5 - 6 days a week and while it is close by in town it was driving me crazy to shuffle vehicles.  Tuesday I had to ask someone for a ride for the first time.  So....

Yesterday we bought a new car and Beautiful bought our old one.  We deep cleaning her car and washed it and it was fun to see her so thorough as she was now taking ownership for "her" car.  I couldn't believe the important things that I "found" in the car that I unfortunately didn't even know I had lost!

We picked up the kids today from camp.  One had fallen in the lake out of a boat.  All had eaten too much candy.  One had lost an important item of clothing.  All were filthy muddy from all of the rain.  Some were grumpy from not enough sleep.  Yep, typical return from camp day lol!

It is a good thing that we only go on these overnight dates every several years - this date was expensive lol!


No comments: