Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Bragging on my husband

I realized that I spend posts updating on our kids, but I don't ever write about my amazing husband.  I thought I would do that today in honor of our anniversary:)  Some of this post is serious, some is silly, all of it is meant to show what a great guy I am married to.

My husband and I must win the "most opposite couple" award.  We are very different but we have (over time...much time...) learned to appreciate one another's differences and focus on how we may not be similar in many areas but we complement each other well.

The quality I appreciate the most about my husband is that he loves to serve.  He genuinely and authentically cares about the hearts of people.  He takes the time to consider what touches someone's heart and he desires to meet that for the person.  His love language is Gifts.  He loves to let people know they are cared for whether it is giving them something, talking to them about something, or just being there for a person.

He quietly tolerates that Gifts are not even on my radar screen.  It will be a month after a special day and I may (or may not) note that I did not do anything special for him that day.  He lavishes the rest of us with thoughtfulness and does not complain when we are not as quick to notice his wants.  Two years ago I bought him a used 4-wheeler and told him that it was to make up for the first 17 years of not being intentional about gifts...and to not expect anything else for awhile either;)

When the older kids were little he loved to just lay on the floor with them.  It used to drive me nuts as I kept thinking he should be "doing" something.  However, I came to realize that the best thing he can "do" for them is to "be" with them.

I am so thankful that my husband is a stay at home dad (with 2 at home jobs).  He spends so much time with our kids and it is so important to our kids.

I love that my husband fills up my car with gas.  I never even look at the gas gauge.  The other day he was shocked that he filled it and there were only 40 miles left in the tank (my husband thinks that the car is empty if the gauge is on 1/2).  I told him, I really, really never ever look at the gauge.  I know he will take care of it.  He always takes care of it.  He always takes care of me:)

He also takes out the trash without my awareness.  It is just done.

Since I got my herniated disk he has taken over all yard and garden work.  I do the canning when it gets to the house (he helps with all of that too), but he takes much pride in his garden, weeding, and watering - and of course the harvest.

He does dishes.  And scrubs floors.  He does laundry - and folds and puts away!

He is readily willing to put up with my impulsive "lets do this" even when he had other plans.  He is always game for going away for the day or for a trip (I attempt to involve wildlife, fishing, or some other outdoor activity as we all enjoy those things;)

He holds my hand while we walk:)

He rarely complains about things I do...perhaps about the children's choices...but not about mine;)  He puts up with me unceasingly.

When I tell him the little things that mean so much to me, like how I like coming home from work to a washed off kitchen table, it is usually done:)

He loves to surprise me.  Just last night after I had already worked 10 hours he knew I was exhausted and still had another hour of work.  As I swung past the house to grab an item he sneaked a peanut butter cup to me.  Ah, he knew that I needed chocolate and peanut butter to get through the last hour.  Then, when I got home, I went straight to bed (by 8).  He did not get grumpy that I had been at work all day and he needed a break from the kids especially at bedtime.  He just let me sleep and when I woke told me how much he appreciates me.

He does not mind that I don't iron...or dust;)

He loves kids.  While the childbirth of our 2 bio kids could have been much more traumatic, they were complicated enough that if had birthed them without medical intervention I probably would not have lived.  After it happened the second time my husband insisted that I not do that again.  He was terrified he would lose me (and have to raise the kids himself;)  However, still loving kids he wanted more and 4 adoptions later we are at 6 kids.  He still is very open to another child (it is me that is content to be done at 6...unless God makes is crystal clear we are to do that again!)

He feels totally out of his element home schooling the kids, but he is courageous and 2 days a week he teaches (while I work) and 3 days I teach.  That has been hard with kids with learning struggles but we love the reasons that we home school and that helps us keep each other focus and persevere.

I love how we are usually thinking the same things.  We often finish each others sentences.  We can be apart for an hour and when we start up a conversation it is often on the same topic that the other one wanted to talk about.  We have the same values and goals for most things...not that we necessarily agree all of the time on how to achieve those goals.  But at least we have the same goals lol!

My husband is not a man of many deep words.  However, he is a man of very deep emotion and loves our family with thoughtfulness, insight, and service.

Our marriage has not always been so great.  I have been working on a post of the testimony and progression of our 19 years of marriage to where it is today.  But today it is great.  I adore, appreciate, and love my husband.  He takes care of me.  He pampers me.  He reminds me with his actions daily that he treasures and cherishes me.  He is a great man.

No comments: