Monday, June 10, 2013

A day in the life of potty training

I used to think that potty training must be the most dreaded part of parenting.  Then I had teenagers.  But...I digress...

We started potty training JJ in November.  Yes, that was 8 months ago.  He has great control.  He knows exactly what to do when on the toilet and has always been most expeditious.  He just does not tell us when he has to go.   He has been the least stressful kid to potty training because...quite frankly...he is kid number 6 and he is the only one in diapers...not 3 at a time like last time.  

JJ may not like to warn us when he goes #2, but he sure does know what he was supposed to do...clean it up in the bathroom.  Tonight we got done with a scrumptious supper of grilled burgers and fresh fruit that my husband prepared well.  Superman goes to wash his hands and comes back..."Mom?  JJ is in the bathroom cleaning himself up."  

Oh dear.

There he was with a bunch of toilet paper cleaning up the mess on the floor...while still tracking his mess all over the floor via his feet.  I asked Superman to go to one of the other bathrooms to get 15 washcloths to restock this bathroom.

My husband and I tag teamed JJ and got him into the tub and the floor wiped off.  I washed him up and kicked him out. I got the cleaner and scrubbed the floor and the toilet.  My husband threw the rugs into the washer.  

I left the bathroom on my hands and knees to be sure that the carpet was clean on the hallway.  JJ came up behind me slapping my behind cheerfully announcing, "I spank your butt!" over and over.  Yep.

I walked downstairs to grab the clean laundry from the dryer to remake JJ's bed from the mistake of his inadequate diaper from last night and encounter Superman carrying the washcloths and saying, "Sorry Mom, I forgot what a washcloth was."

Believe me when I say that this is an oft repeated performance and yet it is much easier than 3 at a time;)  We all got a good laugh off of it...what is funnier than bathroom humor lol!

No comments: