Last night a man came by and asked of Buddy wanted to work with him last night and tonight. We thought it was a great opportunity for Buddy, and we are excited that he is having some opportunities to bless others with help and to gain some more skills working. Also, Buddy has a tendency to like nice things (well, video games) so it is another opportunity for him to make money at age 13 other than mow our lawn! I am so thankful for the lessons that my husband has taught him about working on remodeling a house, etc.
This morning the man stopped by saying that his regular helper did not show up and asked of Buddy could help him all day. So off Buddy went. I then got the kids breakfast and while the kids were waiting they asked some interesting questions, so we had a teachable moment.
Grace asked why Buddy had to work. I explained about how all of us have to work. We are to work to be good stewards of what God has given us. We need to work to make money to pay for our own home, car, things that we want, etc.
Faith asked how we learn how to work. I went on to talk about how their father and I teach them to clean their room, pick up toys and clothes, pick up sticks outside, clean up after themselves, keep each other out of mischief, etc. This teaches them how to work, and then they just need to learn different skills for the jobs that they will eventually work.
Grace piped in with, "What if I forget how to work?"
Here came the most important part of this teachable moment...
I assured her, quite enthusiastically, that they will NOT forget how to work as they will need to remember how to work so that they can support themselves as they will NOT be living with us the rest of their lives lol!
No comments:
Post a Comment