Friday, May 11, 2012

In His lap

Today after I testified in court (very short and uneventful) I took a walk down a tree lined street while I waited for my husband to come pick me up (court was not near us so he took the opportunity to do errands since we don't go that direction very often).  As I waited I found a park bench.  It was a curious thing - two benches facing each other on a curb.  They were very comfortable and surrounded by wild grasses, flowers, and fragrant trees.

Looking a little further there was a cool breeze - a bit too cool for my comfort.  There were buildings all around.  Vehicles drove past frequently.  Right across the street was construction - the erecting of a new building.  Cement trucks, back hoes, jack hammers, dust, noise, people were everywhere.

Initially I was annoyed by the surroundings.  By and by He whispered in my hear that He had provided a nice place to rest.  He reminded me to rest in my immediate surroundings and not attend to the distractions.  To sit on my Abba Father's lap and rest in Him.  To draw near to His promises, to the immediateness of Him, to the lavishness of His love for me, to trust in His timing, plans, and outcomes.

This few days in my life I have been so overwhelmed with what I am not getting done that I cannot even begin a to do list to think of what needs to get done.

Yet, God gave me a few sweet moments of quiet and spoke to my heart.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus, Look full in His wonderful face, And the things of earth will grow strangely dim, In the light of His glory and grace.

So, even though I can't find my kitchen counters, each of my kids have some kind of crisis or another that I feel utterly inept at finding a long term solution to, I am worried about my surgery and that of my mother in law, and no matter how much I get done there is 10x more to do behind it...for a few moments I sat on my Abba Father's lap...and rested...anticipating an eternity of gazing full in His wonderful face:)

No comments: