I had read an article a while back discussing the benefits of the ipad and other electronics (beyond computers) for home schooling. While they were talking about the benefits to missionaries not having to haul books across the world or having books shipped there every year, I thought about how the ipad could benefit me here in the US. My brother very generously blessed me with an ipad2 for Christmas and I have been having fun discovering the options of apps for educational use. I am writing this post for 2 reasons:
First - to see if any of you also do this and have suggestions of apps/ipad curriculum
Second - to share with you the fun...ahem... educational experiences I have been having:)
I found a website called http://appsforhomeschooling.com/ that reviews educational apps. They had a top 10 list for 2011 and I ordered several of them. While her own children are 8 and under, she does review some apps for older children. I was very excited about things like teaching Shakespeare's MacBeth and Romeo and Juliet via the ipad, as well as algebra! Lectures and interactive teaching are at the students fingertips.
Some of my favorite apps I have discovered to date:
1. Stack the States. This is a geography app that teaches state facts, shapes, and of course location in a very fun and competitive way (I love playing this game;)
2. Stack the Countries. This one teaches country facts, shapes, and location. I am working to master my geography on this game. Buddy loves to play these geography games too and they are much more fun (and educational I believe) than more traditional methods of teaching geography. (I love playing this one the most!)
3. Simplex Spell 1 - this is an interactive spelling app that the little ones are using to learn phonics and learning to spell. I love how they can use this app independently freeing me up to work with another child yet they love it and are learning:)
4. I am so incredibly not artsy or even enjoying anything that has to do with art. So, a free app that that I discovered is Scribble Press that allows "creations" with the touch screen. I think JJ will enjoy it as well as the little ones.
5. Discovery Kids: Sharks - a "unit study" on sharks. Unfortunately there is evolutionary language but the kids learn to discriminate between sharks, location of sharks, and what they eat as well as other fun facts.
6. I have downloaded several math apps - Rocket Math and Math Bingo are probably the most fun so far drilling math facts again independently of me sitting with flashcards, etc. I am currently checking one out called Splash Math: Grade 1 that I am having Faith check out to see how useable it will be for us.
Part of my dilemma is having 3 children the same age with a very wide ability range. Using the apps allows them to move forward at their own pace, learn some independent study skills and feedback, and not having me rushing off or being distracted by someone else's need. I have thought about the independent software curriculum for the older two for next year...any thoughts on that would be appreciated too:)
Finally, as we are studying biology this year I got "Frog Dissection." Of course, being in the home of a taxidermist we get to "dissect" animals hands on as frequently as we like. But that doesn't necessarily give the labels and other educational pieces that are helpful. So, we will be enjoying dissecting a frog...without SMELL or MESS!! That makes it a major success to me lol!
Most of these apps were free or $.99. There are more expensive ones that are more involved such as language arts and higher math. The other benefit is that the ipad is portable, allowing the children to do school anywhere (just what they wanted, right?!?!?)
Please let me know if you use any educational apps and what you think of them!
As an aside, I love the speaker on the ipad2 allowing me to listen to sermons in a room while working on something (or as I commute to work) and not needing headphones - something the smaller ipods didn't allow as much unless plugged into a dock.
1 comment:
I also got an iPad 2 for Christmas. I love to have educational things on it. I downloaded the state game and the country game. We just got the free version to try it out and already the kids love it. Even Ty who likes nothing artistic really likes the Scribble Press. I did see a lot of different dissection apps. But it seemed like they were for higher grades. I will be looking in to those still. If you happen to run across an app that will let kids practice the names of bones, I would be interested in that one. There are just so many good choices out there. Thanks for the ideas.
Post a Comment