Saturday, January 28, 2017

Disney World: Day 1

The Big Day has arrived! We got up at 3:30 in the morning and were on the road by 5. We drove until after 9 p.m. making it to the Georgia border. It went better than it could have gone. The kids were all wide awake after we woke them at 5 to get into the van - we thought they would fall asleep right away. They stayed awake for about an hour. At that point JJ nodded off. Since I share a seat with him I laid down (not much room but I managed lol!) The next thing I knew we were in MO! Best part of the trip;) The Middles did not sleep but did stay very quiet letting me sleep. It was just getting to be sunrise when I woke up. My husband always does all of the driving and I take care of the kiddos. He did a great job staying awake and navigating us safely. We got to Chattanooga, TN and found a hotel with very comfortable beds and a hot breakfast.

Some highlights of our day:
* realizing that I forgot movies lol! Thankfully Beautiful had packed 5 movies. Buddy suggested that we buy the new seasons of Duck Dynasty and binge watch them on the way home:)

* bathroom issues were an issue. I have a kid who has issues with public restrooms. We got it worked out by the end of the day but it made for more frequent stops and specific stops. It is always something lol!

* Leaving one gas station in MO there was a man bent over the engine of his truck...with his shirt hiked up and his pants below his...well...thigh level. Thankfully he wore really huge whitie tighties. I yelled, "close your eyes kids!" That meant some of them looked around for what they weren't supposed to see.  Uff da!

* The kids did pretty well with conflict. Between movies, books, snacks, and frequent restroom stops they handled themselves better than I expected. By 7 or so they were all pretty fed up with being in the van for 14 hours. However, I gave Grace her bedtime pills, she fell asleep, and the rest of the trip was quiet;)

* We got 2 hotel rooms with 2 queen beds each. I would have thought that JJ was sick of me after sitting right next to me for the entire day, but he wanted to cuddle up and actually be held. I tried to lay him on pillows on the floor after he finally fell asleep but he woke immediately. He seems to have a radar when he is not right against me. I sat up and read my Bible until he fell asleep harder, then laid him down. I then got about 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep before he popped up and said "I am cold!" and then snuggled in with me and fell right back asleep. We got up at that time and got ready for the road.

Pretty good for Day 1 of vacation:)


No comments: