Thursday, December 15, 2016

My Day of Blessings

Last week I had a very bad week. Very. I wrote a blog post that I will never actually post because I was so negative. However, it helped me to sort through my thoughts so was actually very helpful! I couldn't even stand to be around myself - I felt sorry for my family lol! Today I am so glad that I am back to focusing on the blessings in my life (and that my family actually wants to be around me today!)

I woke up after getting over 6 hours of sleep!!! JJ has been sick for about 2 weeks now and not sleeping well (even worse than usual). He is coughing like crazy and has been back to not falling asleep until 11 or later. Right after daylight savings time we were getting him to sleep by 10 and I was so excited! But that didn't last long...  Anyway, after taking him to the doc yesterday and confirming he doesn't have pneumonia we just gave him the cough medicine with codeine to make.him.sleep. Praise the Lord it worked! So we all got better sleep (after midnight) and he is coughing much less today:) He also is starting out the night by announcing he want to sleep by himself in his own bed. It never lasts too long (and prolongs the amount of time it takes him to fall asleep by at least 30 minutes because he inevitably ends up back in our bed to fall asleep and then I carry him to his bed until he wakes and comes in again). But, the blessing is that he seems to be understanding that he is supposed to be alone in his bed lol!

I got to have a massage today! Again, praising God for massage therapists! I hope that one of my kids becomes a massage therapist...and lives close;)

Then I got a hair cut. I was brave and cut off my long hair to make it shorter than it has been in 6 years. About 10 years ago I had it cut short and was shocked that in pictures that I looked like my brother lol!!!!  I was wary but brave and got it cut. I think it will be much better now and the good news is that I don't think I look like my brother - not that he isn't a handsome man - I just shouldn't look like him:)

Buddy made lunch! I am so grateful for the blessing of his heart that is willing to help out in the family. He is a good son:)

I had to run to work for an hour, but am thankful that I don't work anymore until Monday (outside of the home). I have lots of insurance company calls to make tomorrow though:(

The last box of presents came from Amazon today and my husband and I took them to town to get silk screened for Christmas. I can't wait to show you guys what the surprise is! Beautiful and I have been scheming;)

That meant that my husband and I got to go out to supper ALONE! Granted it was a fast trip, but it was ALONE!!!  We got to make decisions about the surprise, and how we will handle Christmas day schedule, etc. It was good:)  We enjoy scheming to find time to sneak away alone - even if it is just a 20 minute walk. I am so thankful that I like my husband. I know far too many woman who avoid theirs:(

Buddy, when given the option of watching the 4 youngest kids while we ran to town and back, or ran to town, ate, and came back said that we needed get away and go out to eat. Again, Buddy is such an incredible son. We are so blessed by him! So we brought him back pizza. He never asks for money, just pizza lol! And video games. Can't forget that. Birthdays and Christmas are about video games;)

Finally, the kids have been very hard lately. Not pull my hair out hard, but juuuuuust below that. So yesterday I made up a VERY detailed list of expectations and timelines along with consequences and rewards for the Middles and today it was fully implemented. Do you know that they have had good attitudes so far all of the time I have actually seen them today? No one has told me that hate me, that I am wrong or to stop talking or how horrible their life is in this house! Which is like....1000 times better attitude than before?!?!? Even when one of the kids did something outrageously naughty and was sent to bed 30 minutes early there was NO SCREAMING!  Even after told that the consequences would apply!  So even if it only lasts today, praise the Lord we had ONE day of good attitudes and as-much-as-can-be-expected compliance:) And now that they have proven that they CAN do it...well...it is GAME ON!

There are other things that have been tough. We had to cancel our Christmas trip back home this weekend due to the big blizzard moving in there. I really wanted to see our families even though it was only going to be a quick overnight trip. Also, I have some unexplained medical/pain something or another that is getting worry some. Just when I am finally getting a handle on the headaches (more or less, last week was HORRENDOUS), now I have this new pain. But, such is the adventure of life. I can either keep my eyes on Jesus and focus on the blessings, or be overwhelmed and so angry I have to shut myself away (like last week). I am thankful for days like today that Jesus reminds me that He is here in the midst of the craziness and whether it is a good or bad situation He is sovereign.

Now if I can just keep reminding myself that I need to submit to that plan...;)

No comments: