Friday, June 24, 2016

JJ and my run in with the deputy;)

I have been battling a migraine since Saturday - pretty non-stop since Tuesday. Yesterday I got  massage and hoped it would help but it did not. Today I was able to get a chiropractor appointment scheduled, after my girls' Bible Study, for myself and Jonathan (to help with his Rumination Syndrome). I didn't wear any makeup or do my hair today, and dressed in very "comfy" clothes for the adjustment. Normally I am not self-conscious of my sloppy appearance when not at work and simply try to not run into anyone but today it seemed like I just kept running into people everywhere!

At the chiropractor appointment there where a bunch of people in the waiting room:( JJ did great though and sat in the room while I got traction (my herniated disk has also been acting up lately so needed that extra treatment) calmly and quietly. Then we got our adjustments. During that time JJ insisted that he was hungry and needed food. When he actually wants to eat we feed him so...off to Subway we went despite my not wanting to be seen by anyone else while dressed "comfortably."

Getting ready to turn left in Subway there were a bunch of cars coming and a semi parked on the right shoulder so no one could get around me. We almost (by inches) got rear-ended by a teenager driving a small truck.  Grrrr. I was able to move forward enough to avoid the impact but we sure did hear a lot of screeching rubber.

We got into Subway and it was empty but someone called my name as if they knew me. It was fun that the "sandwich artist" was a friend of ours...but it reminded me that her graduation card is still sitting on my desk unmailed...fail...

We were getting JJ's sandwich made and since the store was empty I was working with him to use his own words to get what he wanted and helping him retrieve the right words for toppings. He put things on his sandwich I have never seen him do before when I just do it so it was a good teaching moment for me too:)

He asked for chips and I agreed but when I turned to tell him where to go to there were two deputies standing right in front of the rack that I had not heard come in. JJ seemed reluctant so I encouraged him that they would not hurt him and to just go get his chips. They smiled and engaged him. When he got back to me (I was trying to pay and finish up) I realized they were talking to him but he was not responding. I was impressed that he went to get the chips by himself (cheetoes are very enticing;)  So I took the time to turn him around, get down on his level, and encourage him to talk back to the officers. They engaged him kindly and he gave some responses (that I said first so he could just repeat). One asked if he wanted some tattoos (that we normally do not allow) but it was a way to get him to talk more with him so I modeled for him to say "yes please." We had to go to the truck to get them and the other officer said, "have him turn on the lights too!"  JJ got to crawl up into the truck and put the buttons to make the lights go, then the sirens. He seemed to have a good time but he is just so utterly subdued around people. We see such an animated and talkative kid when he feels safe (and last night's babysitter said he was totally different this time meaning she finally made it to his "safe" list too!  yay!) Anyway, the deputy kept trying to engage him and I kept trying to think of things for JJ to say to the man. He got his 2 tattoos and a sticker and we headed home (thankfully without further incident).

JJ had wanted his sticker on right away so I put that on in the car (right before he proceeded to eat his entire 6" sub. He WAS hungry!)

When we got home my husband had a picture framing customer here. When he saw JJ (and his sticker) his first words were, "Uh oh! Mom must of gotten pulled over!"

Whaaaaaa?  Thanks a lot Babe lol!  So ended our quick trip for adjustments. Whew!  But, hey, my migraine is gone for the first time in almost a week! The test will be if it comes back sitting through Faith's double header softball game in 90 degree heat tonight;)

No comments: