As expected this week has been very hard, but I am much more calm and focused as we have come to a decision. I have thought through our situation over and over again trying to figure out what I am most upset about. I want to make sure that it is not just my emotions of fear that are clouding a situation where my child was in danger. As I considered it this graph is what came to mind. When I worked in various prisons we had to do annual trainings about use of force. We were taught to match our level of "force" to the inmate's level of "resistance." What my child did was in the "compliant" category. The person met him in the "Defensive Tactics" category and I believe intended to move into the "Deadly Force" category. I am still trying to wrap my brain around how a person thinks that is ok.
But then when a person shows up who is supposed to be a safe space and should keep my child safe says the other person was justified in their actions? Seriously? Blaming the victim? I do not have enough cuss words in my vocabulary to express how appalling that is. I do not have enough non-cuss words to articulate my horror and... disgust.
So, a decision has been made to try to have my child's voice, which was silenced with aggression and violence in this situation, to be heard. I am anxious about the path forward but know that it is 100% the right thing to do and will hopefully prevent someone else from having this happen to them. This is not 1960. Or 1860. The next step is to find the appropriate attorney who will help us. Please join us in praying to find the right attorney, for our son after having experienced that, and for us as parents as we seek to advocate for safety.

No comments:
Post a Comment