Thursday, February 25, 2021

Living to Work? or Working to Live?

 My dad used to tell me about a car mechanic he knew that worked on everyone else's cars yet his was broken down. He shared that people tend to not perform the best in their own lives in the areas that they give others advice. 

Well, I am proof of that. I teach people about self-care and boundaries and work/life balance and I am terrible at it. There are a lot of reasons, as I sit an analyze it, why I insist on working so much and don't take intentional time for my family and myself. All of those reasons are logical reasons. But, they not good enough.

At Christmas I took off a week from work - and honestly, the only reason I took it off completely was because Grace was coming home for that week. It was the first week I had taken off in 2020. Then the next week I worked two days and took 5 days off. It was so rejuvenating that I decided that I would make myself take time off once a quarter. I now have lots of ideas of places we can go this year as a family for fun. I will try to keep my resolution to this this year:) We just got a letter that Grace will be home on family leave for over a week the end of May. I am hoping for a fun trip with her and the family that week:)

But, the first quarter? I decided to throw caution to the wind and take a 10 day vacation to the beach. Where it is hot. To just sit and relax and walk in the waves. And enjoy my family.

I refuse to feel guilty about it. I have learned that a big reason I don't take vacations is because of guilt. Actually, I have learned that I feel guilty about a lot of things that are illogical. So, regardless of Covid. Regardless that not all of the family is going with us. Regardless of the cost. Regardless that I have to take time off of work - I am heading out to fun in the sun. I was talking with someone recently about the work/life imbalance and we discussed the phrase "live to work? or work to live?" I realize that I live to work. My family suffers for it. My health suffers for it. My friendships suffer for it. So, I am going to attempt to balance that out a little and try my hand at working to live;) 

No comments: