We are having a grand daughter! Although, on my maternal side of the family that is not a surprise. This is the 5th generation of a first born daughters. We have a lot of females on that side of the family.
A lot.
In fact, we have so many more girls than boys that our family started a group called Ruth's Daughter's Daughters. Why? My great grandmother was named Ruth. She was a midwife who had...5 daughters. Of those 5 daughters only 1 had sons. In that entire generation of cousins there are only 3 boys. So, the women got together starting about 26ish years ago (man that makes me feel old) and started to have weekends together as an extended family (sorry male cousins). I was in the next generation so wasn't a part of those meetings. In my generation of cousins there are a few more boys in extended the family, but my grandmother and grandfather had 3 daughters, and they had 7 kids - 1 of whom is male (my brother). In my generation 4 of the 7 of us have had children, 3 of us had sons - but our first borns were daughters:) All of the 6 cousins in Beautiful's generation are younger than JJ is, so we will see if there are more boys born or not:) The age gaps in my generation are also interesting to think about - My cousins were all born between the time I was 8 and 18 so we didn't get to have the "close cousins" experiences others have. I supposed my grand kids will have the same experience too.
So, now Beautiful starts the 5th generation with...Ruth's Daughter's, Daughter's, Daughters', Daughter's Daughter:)
We threw a Gender Reveal Party for them last night. While parties are not my comfort zone, we were excited to put together a celebration for Beautiful and her husband. And, hey, the house got really clean lol! JJ had a hard time with the house cleaning. I think he is already feeling pushed aside by the baby. He likes his structure, routine, and place in the world. We eventually got around it but he is already insistent this morning that I get all of his toys back out where they belong lol!
I am not sure how I was supposed to take it when the kids just kept walking through the house saying, "wow! this is really clean!" and "wow! the food all looked good!"
I will say that I discovered the secret of a successful party...delegation! lol! Considering my first big party was Beautiful's graduation, followed shortly thereafter by a wedding of very large proportions, this one's size was "just right" ;) I had help from an incredible chef for the salads (and beautiful flower arrangement), another friend came early and helped me set up (thankfully! along with the person who helped with the food), and another friend stepped in during cake serving time to assist.
I have concluded that I have amazing friends:)
I was feeling pretty good about it all until someone reminded me that we have another graduation party in 10 months.... :( He hasn't decided if he wants a party or not. Maybe I can try the same tactic as I attempted with the wedding and suggest (instead of a destination wedding) a destination graduation (or just offer him cash to not put me through having to plan a party). Ok, I am getting a little punchy now. It must be post-party craziness. Any questions on why I do not drink? I am crazy enough without alcohol lol!
Anyway...today I forced myself to do my work out, feed the kids, and get "should have been done earlier in the week" paperwork completed. I am now going to sit.on.my.backside and do engage in my favorite hobby (reading) while attempting to keep the kids from pulling out each other's hair. My husband is recuperating from his post-party mind-fog by garage saleing with our daughter and husband. They have been at it for 5 hours now. They.are.crazy.
In re-reading this post I think that I seriously need to just stop typing. Now.
So, the highlights - we are having a granddaughter! 5th Generation first born daughter! The house is clean! I have great friends! I am a little discombobulated!
God is good:) We are blessed:) And I am excited to be a Grandma!
No comments:
Post a Comment