I usually post about heavier things, so I thought I would share a post about how our family does, at times, actually have some fun;)
This has been a very busy work week for me - working every day when I normally have Thursday and Friday off (although my husband often reminds me that I do go in for an hour or 2 on those days and rarely do I actually have them off). This week was a lot more than that and we (especially my husband) needed some down time.
Today I got to present a 2 hour training on Trust Based Relational Intervention (TBRI). I love "teaching" and I am so passionate about that material (just as passionate as I am about EMDR!). I was so excited that they asked me to come and talk about it:)
While I was doing that my husband took Superman, Faith, and JJ fishing in the town where I was presenting. I reminded my husband it was not a "hard-core" fishing day...just enough for the kids to make some memories. My husband's idea of fishing is waking up when it is still pitch black and leaving for the water (which is harder to find in this state than in MN where we grew up;) and not returning until dark lol! Today was low key:)
Anyway, they picked me up when I was done and we went to Applebees for lunch. We used a gift card that I had gotten for a presentation I done on the same material a year ago (we clearly do not go out to eat very often lol!). It was a good meal. Some highlights of the meal included JJ asking for both grilled chicken and a corn dog. While he was considering those he saw a picture of a steak. So...he got the kids' steak. He ended up eating 1/2 of that and most of Faith's shrimp. Then he thought the lemons on my plate were oranges...his face was hilarious when he figured out that was not the case lol! He then insisted that we buy him shrimp and oranges to take home for him to eat. Superman really likes to eat burgers so we got him a quesadilla burger. He was shocked at the size of it and said it was the first time he has eaten out at a restaurant and actually got completely full:) Faith loved the mozzarella sticks (a girl after my own heart) and her chicken and shrimp meal. Jonathan loudly announcing his need to...use the restroom...left us all laughing as well.
Grace was not with us because...she is in the Team Mates program and got to attend the Spring Game today! She was so excited to go and had a great time. We are so thankful for that program for her to get the extra connection time with her Teammate who is, by the way, the most perfect fit for Grace:) Grace is now insisting that the rest of us need to actually attend a game too (although my husband and Buddy have attended a Spring Game too) so I suppose we will actually have to experience a game at some point (after living in this state for 18 years now;).
We came home and the kids spent the afternoon and evening playing outside. JJ INSISTED that I jump on the trampoline with him. He seems to think I am some 20-something mother. I was sitting on the trampoline catching my breath from laughing so hard at his silliness (ok...and from jumping so long) when he looked down on my head seeing my "roots" growing out and said, "Mom, why is your hair turning white?" I answered, "because I am getting old." He was so sweet when he replied, "Mom! You are not old!" So we jumped, I played catch with the 3 of them while Grace enjoyed her calming lavender bath, and JJ had a ton of fun running through the neighbor's sprinkler while fully clothed;)
Beautiful and her husband were heading back to our place tonight but she REALLY wanted to see the Jungle Book movie so asked if we would come too. Buddy was at work all day and I thought it was too much for the kids...so my husband drove down to eat supper and see the movie with them. It is just so incredibly sweet to me that my husband does those fun things with her (and that SHE wants us to be such a constant part of their life even post-marriage), and the other kids. So many dads do not. I am infinitely thankful for my husband - and God's wisdom when He put us together. Looking back 24 years ago we were a terrible match - but God has worked in both of us and made us compliment each other well. He knew what He was doing;)
So, just a fun post about a fun day to let you know (and remind me) that we are able to have fun times as a family and it isn't ALL drama (just 80% of it;).
No comments:
Post a Comment