I wrote about my experience with EMDR and how I have benefited so much from it. One of the biggest benefits I have noticed is that I actually want to do things that I haven't wanted to do for years. In the past I just made myself buck up and do it. Now I am motivated, excited about it, and that really vexes my husband. The poor man has been used to my laid back philosophy of the past years where I have wanted to get something done, mentioned it, but did not really do much about it...
But....
I'm BAAAAACK!!!!!
So, now I am motivated and have a plan to get things DONE. NOW! Which means that my husband now has a "honey do list" that I actually want my honey to...do;)
Almost 5 years ago we put in new flooring when JJ was starting to crawl. My husband installed the kitchen flooring himself and we had all of the rest of the upstairs recarpeted (after 30 years it needed it!) But..."life" happened and he never finished the baseboard. I think it was 1 or 2 years ago I mentioned it again so he bought the baseboard and stained it...and it has been sitting on the floor of the garage since then.
This morning I gave him plenty of warning. He asked for my plans to day and I shared with him that I was in a mood to do some deep cleaning and organizing. And..."when are you going to get that baseboard installed?"
I was actually impressed with myself. As I keep trying to test the limits of EMDR as it seems "too good to be true" I was worried that with JJ so sick last week (he had strep and ended up in the hospital on day 5 for 6 hours for IV fluids and antibiotics - he was pretty dehydrated - so I really only just laid on the couch and held him for days and days and days) that I would have lapsed back into my complacency and lack of motivation to do anything. But, Wednesday we spend the day as a family at the park (even Beautiful came down and met us for the afternoon as we were 1/2 way to her house). Yesterday we took Superman, Faith, and JJ to the Pumpkin Patch for the day with 150 other homeschoolers from our group. We had never been to a Pumpkin Patch before (we don't observe Halloween so I was always reluctant to go to one. This one was great!). I normally would never have actually scheduled 2 outings back to back. I would have said that 1 was enough and not had near enough energy to do it. I would have felt obligated for the kids and not wanted to do it. But, I did! And they were both fun! Now, they were not without stress (of course) but it was worth it:)
So, even after 10 days of high stress with a sick kid, then 2 days back to back of social outings, I still had a ton of energy and wanted to do something! That is seriously not my norm in the past almost 3 years now. I am loving this.
But, as I said before my bunny trail, my poor husband is trying to adjust to my "lets get things done" attitude.
He had other things on his "list" for today but he very kindly humored me and agreed to put up the baseboard. I was cleaning out and organizing the pantry (WHAT A MESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) and noticed that the doors needed to be washed. It is right by where Grace eats so I then noticed how bad the wall looked with food, markers, pencil, gouges, etc in the wall. I washed it too and realized it really needed to be repainted.
Do you see where this is going?
My ever long-suffering most excellent husband found the matching paint and painted the wall for me.
He is a saint.
Then he finished putting up the baseboard while I finished the pantry.
I have I mentioned what a horrid disorganized mess that it was? I had so many extras of things I didn't even know I had. Uggg.
I also got sidetracked organizing JJ's preschool curriculum (I am not sure how that happened exactly), dusted the piano and ALL of the junk on it (even Buddy noticed and commented on how nice it looked...THAT was remarkable lol!) Then I started JJ for his first day of preschool. That was a sweet treat for me:) He is doing so much better with his word retrieval so that I thought we could proceed without him becoming so frustrated like he has in the past. However, when he asked to play "wolverine" and I couldn't figure it out until Beautiful (they were here overnight as they are on Fall Break) said, "mom, he is saying "Lord of the Rings" I thought that I perhaps should wait a bit longer until I could better understand him. But we decided to start anyway;) JJ is extremely stubborn and when one asks him to do anything he will usually refuse unless it is his idea (or he thinks it is). So the thought of actually formally teaching him about breaks me out in hives (especially since not understanding his words makes him so frustrated anyway). But, day 1 was a success and he readily engaged. So, yay for day 1 done lol!
Anyway, my husband then made tacos for supper while I finished clearing off the table of what I was organizing (believe me, he got the better deal).
So, now I have a pantry that is organized, the children's art/craft supplies are all sorted and organized in their own boxes, JJ got his 1st day of school done, my baseboard is all up, my kitchen wall is repainted, and my piano is dusted and organized.
Any my body is screaming "what were you thinking!?!?!?"" :) Then I walked to another room and just groaned as I realized just how much of the house needs to be deep cleaned and organized, and my husband groaned as I started to list what else he needs to fix around the house;)
So, now the kids and I are going to watch a family movie and eat popcorn and dip apples in caramel because I just really need them to be still and not fight, and me to not move;)
It feels SO good to want to move forward with life again. To have hope that it actually makes a difference. Little by little I will tackle this house and family back into its former self and stay on top of this time:) Thankfully I have an amazing husband by my side who is willing to see my "honey do" list and say "yes dear." ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment