Our Miss Grace certainly knows how to keep our life from ever getting boring. She keeps us on our toes!
Last night my husband and I had a short meeting to attend to so Beautiful agreed to play with the kids near our home with some other friends until our meeting was over. The meeting started at the kids bedtime so we thought it would be OK to be a little late with bedtime...this also means that Miss Grace would be more agitated than normal...sigh...
Grace got upset about something (Grace doesn't even know what it was) so Beautiful put her in time out. She sat her on a table to sit for time out. Grace was having a temper tantrum so was flailing and pushing herself backwards in her anger away from Beautiful, who had turned around and gone back to what she was doing before. Grace didn't perceive where the end of the table was and just kept going, falling off the table and hitting her head/back without her arms/legs there to buffer the fall. Of course, with her already in the middle of a temper tantrum this did not make things any better. Beautiful got all of the kids home, and then we showed up shortly thereafter.
Grace was in the midst of her anger so we could not understand right away that she was acting any differently than normal when upset. She was complaining of a headache and being hungry so I fed her her usual bedtime snack (she loves peas with homemade pear sauce mixed in...yes, I know, I wouldn't eat it lol!) I got the kids to bed and got filled in a little about the 45 minutes we were absent. One thing that had us all laughing very hard was Superman had hidden somewhere and when Faith walked by he jumped out scaring her significantly. She had coming running upstairs to Beautiful with a mixture of screaming and laughing (followed by a laughing Superman). So, I also had to deal with calming Faith after I got home. Got to love mischievous brothers!
Anyway, after getting things settled Grace ran for the bathroom and said she was nauseated. By now I had been home for an hour and was concerned that Grace's bedtime meds hadn't put her to sleep or helped with the headache, nor that the bedtime snack hadn't helped with her stomach like it usually does. I quick texted our PA friend who was on call for advice on if Grace should come in or not. We were told what to watch for. Grace then started vomiting, and that continued for about 2 hours. We monitored her during the night and she did fine with no more vomiting and a stable mental state.
This morning she continues to have a head ache and nausea. Noise and movement bother her. She has been able to keep food down despite the nausea though we were afraid to give her her meds as she vomited the tylenol up last night and we need her to get her ADHD meds in her. We went to the clinic to have her checked over and got a med for nausea so we can get her meds/tylenol/food into her. Unfortunately we found out that she has also lost 2 lbs in the past 2 months. Between her high energy level and her ADHD meds (and it being summer so she is outside and active a lot) it is so hard to get weight on her. She has grown an inch in that 2 months and looks very skinny...too skinny. Anyway...
At this point we are monitoring her and trying to keep her still...yes...you can stop laughing now! She isn't moving too much with the bad headache so that will help a bit...until the tylenol kicks in I suppose;)
So, one of the things we are to watch for is an altered mental state. That has been very fun for me to contemplate. Grace is always just a little "addled" and very random so it is hard to tell from an outsider's point of view if she is cognitively intact or not. On the way to the appointment today she was rambling on about all kinds of things (we usually tune her out as trying to follow her conversations takes a bit of effort). She was talking about how this isn't as bad as when she got a shot in her foot. I asked her when that happened and she responded "when I got my foot cut off." Whaaaaa? Then I remembered that she was referring to when she had a very large wart burned off from under a toe...yes...that was very traumatic.
When the clinician asked Grace what town she was in at the moment Grace had no idea (not surprising or unusual). So, on the way home I was trying to help her understand the nearby towns. She started to recite the name of the town in a singsong voice over...and over...and over again. She then abruptly stopped and said, "why can't I stop saying that? I have 8 teeth gone!?"
Yep, the kid is random. Her 8 teeth gone refers to her need for a certain number of her front teeth to be gone before she is able to get braces (which she desperately needs). How that got mixed into her repeating the name of a town over and over is beyond me.
Anyway, this is pretty minor compared to what we will likely continue to encounter on the parenting journey. A lot of things could be worse. We will keep plugging along and trusting God for the outcome...because we certainly have no control over it!
No comments:
Post a Comment